The mandatory center of expertise (MCX) for protective design
was created to maintain state-of-the-art technical expertise in, and provide expert support to, the following mission areas:
- Design to resist the effects of conventional weapons.
- Design to resist the effects of accidental explosions and design of munition and ammunition storage, maintenance, and production facilities.
- Design to resist the effects of nuclear weapons.
- Design that provides protection from chemical agents, biological agents, or radiological agents.
- Design that provides electromagnetic pulse (EMP) protection and design that mitigates electronic emanations from systems processing classified data (TEMPEST)
- Design for security engineering, including physical security and force protection/anti-terrorism. This design also includes threat and vulnerability assessments and identifying the need for electronic security systems (ESS), but does not include ESS design. For expertise in ESS design, refer to the Electronic Security Systems Mandatory Center of Expertise.
- Support to HQDA physical security program as assigned by AR 190-13.