|Interested in meeting with USACE to talk about the new draft Levee Safety Engineer Circular? Request a small group meeting by emailing us at EC218@usace.army.mil.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is developing an Engineer Circular (EC), which is an agency policy document that will outline policies and procedures for its Levee Safety Program. The guidance consolidates and formalizes the principles, policies, and key processes used by USACE in the program.
The Engineer Circular will expire two years after publication. USACE will work with its partners to implement and improve this guidance during this two-year period and issue more permanent agency guidance based on input and lessons learned.
Public Comment Period
Feedback from the public and our partners is key to the success of the USACE Levee Safety Program, and provides opportunity to build trusting and transparent relationships. The draft agency guidance, Engineer Circular 1165-2-218: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Levee Safety Program, was available on the Federal Register for public comment February 25 to July 27, 2020.
USACE received 54 responses with comments and input by online response form, email, or letter during the open comment period. A draft summary of the comments received is available here; full responses can also be viewed on the Federal Register docket.
Revised Draft Engineer CircularNEW!
A revised draft of the Engineer Circular is now available. This version of the guidance was updated to incorporate feedback received during the public comment period. It has been streamlined to focus on the key policies of the program. More detailed information to support implementation of this policy document will be available in Standard Operating Procedures, which will be publicly available once completed. Should you have feedback on or questions about this revised draft, please email us at EC218@usace.army.mil.
During the open comment period, USACE hosted two virtual information sessions on March 4, and on July 22.
- View the presentation materials from March 4 here.
- View the presentation materials from July 22 here, or watch the presentation here.
USACE planned to host five in-person sessions during the open comment period. However, due to ongoing concerns related to COVID-19, these sessions were postponed.
Because USACE has been unable to host in-person information sessions, we are offering to meet in small group settings, virtually or face-to-face where possible. If you are interested in scheduling a small group meeting about the Levee Safety Program Engineer Circular, please email EC218@usace.army.mil.
Helpful Links and Resources:
- View the revised draft Engineer Circular here. USACE welcomes your feedback on this revised draft guidance.
- View the previous draft Engineer Circular, available for public comment from February 25 to July 27, 2020, here. e-Reader versions are also available for Android and Kindle.
- View all comments submitted during the open comment period on the Federal Register docket.
- Read a draft summary of the comments received during the open comment period, to be finalized once the Engineer Circular is published, here.
- View a fact sheet, USACE Levee Safety Program Guidance, about the February 2020 draft guidance here.
- View a fact sheet, USACE Levee Safety Program Guidance Public Comment Period, about the opportunity for public comment on the Engineer Circular here.
- Take a look at this fact sheet that covers key facts about the Levee Safety Program and PL 84-99 Rehabilitation Program here.NEW!