The Secretary of Defense has approved the appointment of 11 new members to serve on the Inland Waterways Users Board (IWUB), effective January 31.
IWUB operations were suspended in February 2021 as a result of DOD’s zero-based review of all DOD federal advisory committees. The appointment of the new members is the final action necessary to reinstate IWUB activities.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is the proponent for and provides support to the IWUB, a federal advisory committee established by Section 302 of Public Law 99-662, the Water Resources Development Act of 1986. The Board’s purpose is to make recommendations to Congress and the Secretary of the Army on priorities and spending from the Inland Waterways Trust Fund for the construction and rehabilitation of projects on the inland waterways system.
The 11-member IWUB represents each of six geographic regions on the inland waterways system. Composition of the IWUB reflects a balanced inland navigation industry representation, including shipper and carrier members from companies of different sizes and transporting a variety of the primary waterborne commodities.
USACE has informed the new members of their selection and has restarted regular operations by planning for the next meeting. USACE looks forward to the IWUB getting back to work on critical matters related to the inland waterways.
The following are the 11 new representative organizations and their representatives serving on the IWUB:
• American Commercial Barge Line (ACBL), represented by Martin Hettel.
• Bruce Oakley, Inc., represented by Dennis Oakley.
• Canal Barge Company, represented by Spencer Murphy.
• Cargill, Inc., represented by Jeff Webb.
• CGB Enterprises, represented by Lance Rase.
• Continental Cement Company, represented by David Loomes.
• Ingram Barge Company, represented by Daniel Mecklenborg.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announces new members of the Inland Waterways Users Board/2-2-2
• Kirby Corporation, represented by Matt Woodruff.
• Marquette Transportation Company, represented by Damon Judd.
• SCF Marine, Inc., represented by Tim Power.
• Shaver Transportation Company, represented by Rob Rich.
Murphy will serve as the new IWUB chairman.
For more information about the Inland Waterways Users Board, please visit https://www.iwr.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/Inland-Waterways-Users-Board/.