- 14 Sep 2015 - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, as part of an interagency effort with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service, announces the proposed annual update to the National Wetland Plant List (NWPL) for 2015 in the Federal Register. In addition to commenting on the proposed updates, the public will also be provided the opportunity to comment on the proposed process for future updates to the NWPL, which includes a proposed timeline for future updates on a biennial cycle. Comments are requested to provided via the NWPL website (located under NWPL Publications/Documents, Wetland Ratings, Proposed FR NWPL 2015 Update section) by 13 November 2015. For more information click here.
- August 28, 2015 - Since publication of the rule in the Federal Register, numerous lawsuits were filed challenging the regulation, and several parties sought preliminary injunctions to delay implementation of the rule. On August 27, 2015, United States District Courts in Georgia and West Virginia agreed with the Agencies that legal challenges to the Rule could only be brought in the United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit and therefore denied the requests for preliminary injunction. However, the District Court for North Dakota found that it had jurisdiction and granted the request of a number of States and issued a decision preliminarily enjoining the Clean Water Rule.
Under the order issued by the District Court of North Dakota, the parties that obtained the preliminary injunction are not subject to the new rule, and instead continue to be subject to the prior regulation. In light of the order, EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers will continue to implement the prior regulation in the following States: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. In all other States, the new Clean Water Rule is effective on August 28. Click here for more information.
- 17 August 2015 - EPA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released the second set of "Questions and Answers" regarding implementation of the Clean Water Rule, which is effective on 28 August 2015. The agencies will periodically update these "Questions and Answers" as experience with the rule grows. For the second set of "Questions and Answers" click here.
- 31 July 2015 - EPA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released the first set of "Questions and Answers" regarding implementation of the Clean Water Rule, which is effective on 28 August 2015. The agencies will periodically update these "Questions and Answers" as experience with the rule grows. For the first set of "Questions and Answers" click here.
- 29 Jun 2015 - Federal Register Notice Announcing the Clean Water Rule: Definition of Waters of the United States. The effective date for the Clean Water Rule will be 28 Aug 2015.
- 27 May 2015 - The Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have announced the release of the Clean Water Act Rule.
- Prepublication Version of the Final Rule
- EPA-Army Technical Support Document for the Clean Water Rule: Definition of Waters of the United States
- EPA-Army Final Clean Water Rule Economic Analysis
Additional information can be found by clicking here.
- 29 January 2015 - Memorandum withdrawing the 25 Mar 2014 Interpretative Rule Regarding the Applicability of Clean Water Act Section 404(f)(l)(A). For additional information click here.
- 6 November 2014 - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has established a streamlined process to request an evaluation of the wetland rating for plants on the National Wetland Plant List (NWPL). A request can be completed by submitting an online questionnaire on the NWPL website between 10 November 2014 and 31 January 2015. For additional information click here.
- 6 October 2014 - The comment period for the Clean Water Act proposed rule for defining "waters of the United States" has been extended until 14 November 201. Please click here for additional information.
- 10 June 2014 - In response to numerous requests, the comment period for the Clean Water Act rule announced on 21 April 2014 has been extended for 91 days until 20 Oct 2014. Please click here for the Public Notice.
21 April 2014 - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announce the publication of a joint proposed rule for the definition of Waters of the U.S. under the Clean Water Act in the Federal Register for a 90-day public comment period. For the Public Notice with additional information on the proposed rule and how to submit comments, click here. More information on the proposed rule can also be found by clicking here.
- 8 April 2014 - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announces the 2014 annual update to the National Wetland Plant List (NWPL). For additional information on the 2014 NWPL click here or visit the NWPL website.
- January 23, 2012 - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Plan for Retrospective Review Under E.O. 13563 Federal Register Notice Comment Period Extended to March 2, 2012. View the Federal Register Notice.