Prior to 1941, Midland Army Air Field was known as Sloan Field. From 1941 until 1946, the U.S. Army Air Corps operated a flying school under the name Midland Army Air Field, which specialized in bombardier training. An area of the property has been identified through historical research and site visits as having two pits where munitions were buried. The munitions known or suspected to have been buried in the pits are general purpose and practice bombs.
The former Midland Army Air Field comprises approximately 1,680 acres southwest of Midland in Midland County, Texas. Today, the air field is owned by the city of Midland and is known as Midland International Airport. As depicted on the inside map, Ordnance Burial Pits No. 1 & 2 are located at the northern end of the airport boundaries and are within the airport's restricted access perimeter.
Because explosive hazards associated with military munitions from past military training may remain in the former Midland Army Air Field Ordnance Burial Pits No. 1 & 2, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recommends landowners and visitors follow the 3Rs of Explosives Safety– Recognize, Retreat, and Report.
To download or print this information, open the Former Midland Army Air Field Safety Guide in PDF format. Para bajar o imprimir esta información en español, abra la guía informativa del Antiguo Midland Army Air Field en forma PDF.