From 1942 to 1968, the Department of Defense used the Amarillo Air Force Base for flight training, aircraft maintenance, and technical training. Some 700 support buildings were constructed at the base. An area of the former base has been identified through historical research and site visits as being an Open Burn/Open Detonation Range. The munitions known or suspected to have been destroyed at the range include small arms ammunition and various bombs.
The former Amarillo Air Force Base comprises approximately 5,454 acres and is located 6 miles east of downtown Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Portions of the former OB/OD Range are owned by the city of Amarillo as part of the Amarillo International Airport. The remainder of the property is owned by a junior college and private parties.
Because explosive hazards associated with military munitions from past military training may remain on the Amarillo Air Force Base OB/OD Range, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recommends landowners and visitors follow the 3Rs of Explosives Safety – Recognize, Retreat, and Report.
To download or print this information, open the Amarillo Air Force Base, OB/OD Range Safety Guide in PDF format. Para bajar o imprimir esta información en español, abra la guía informativa del Amarillo Air Force Base, OB/OD Range en forma PDF.