From 1941 to 1974, various branches of the Department of Defense used Camp Wolters to conduct infantry, engineer aviation, helicopter and tank training. Additionally, troops received training in using demolition materials. Several areas of the former Camp Wolters have been identified through historical research and site visits as having potential explosive hazards. As depicted on the inside map, these areas include former Combat Ranges, a Maneuver Area, Multiple Use Ranges, and an Ordnance Burial Area. A number of these areas are adjacent to the active Texas National Guard Camp Wolters military installation.
The former Camp Wolters comprises approximately 23,747 acres in Palo Pinto and Parker counties, Texas. The property lies northeast of Mineral Wells and is adjacent to the northeast corner of the city. Today, the Texas National Guard uses 4,000 acres of the former camp for training, Lake Mineral Wells State Park occupies 3,285 acres and the remaining property is privately owned.
Because explosive hazards associated with military munitions from past military training may remain on the former Camp Wolters, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recommends that landowners and visitors follow the 3Rs of Explosives Safety – Recognize, Retreat, and Report.
To download or print this information, open the Camp Wolters Safety Guide in PDF format.