The U.S. Army acquired approximately 120,000 acres in Brown and Mills counties in 1940 to establish Camp Bowie as an infantry, artillery and armored division training center. The camp consisted of a barracks area, training areas and live-fire artillery ranges. An area of the former camp, approximately 47,713 acres, has been identified through historical research and site visits as being an Artillery Impact Area.
Former Camp Bowie is located in Brown and Mills counties and is south of Brownwood, Texas. Today a portion of the property is owned by the Texas National Guard and the city of Brownwood, and the remainder is privately owned.
Because explosive hazards associated with military munitions from past military training may remain on the former Camp Bowie Artillery Impact Area, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recommends landowners and visitors follow the 3Rs of Explosives Safety – Recognize, Retreat, and Report.
To download or print this information, open the Camp Bowie, Artillery Impact Area Safety Guide in PDF format.