USACE Afghanistan Engineer District-North Contracting Officials award $43.77 million in April
By J.D. Hardesty
Afghanistan Engineer District-North
AFGHANISTAN — The contract awards will fund projects to support troop housing in Bagram, security and provincial response companies for the Afghanistan National Police (ANP), an Afghan military hospital and a new Ministry of Interior supply point. Afghanistan Engineer District-North, one of three Transatlantic Division engineering districts supporting Corps of Engineer construction projects in the Middle East, Africa and Central Asia, provides construction management and contract oversight for the projects.
American and NATO allies continue to train and invest in Afghan National Security Forces, which will take control of any combat next supper, with NATO and U.S. forces transitioning into a support role in summer of 2013.
A Multiple Award Task Order Contract (MATOC) valued at $21.8 million for troop housing design and construction on Bagram Air Base in Parwan Province was awarded to Detroit-based Lakeshore Toltest JV LLC for a 15-month performance period.
Contract awards funding increased security infrastructure for Afghan National Police include:
• The Main Road Security Company project at Almar, Faryab Province for $3.3 million was awarded to Kabul-based MegaTech Construction Services to design and construct a new main road security company with a one-year performance period.
• The ANP Provincial Response Company in Asadabad, Kunar Province project totaling $4 million to Kabul-based Rahmat Sadat Construction Company to design and construct a new Provincial Response Company with a 15-month performance period.
• The Uniformed Police Provincial Headquarters project in Mazar-e Sharif, Balkh Province for $5.8 million to Kabul-based Nail it Hard Construction Company to design and construct a new ANP Provincial Headquarters. The contract has a 1-year performance period.
• The ANP District Headquarters project in Pol-e Alam, Logar Province for $2.1 million to Kabul-based Megatech Construction Services to design and construct a new Uniformed Police District Headquarters. The contract has a 1-year performance period.
Other contract awards include:
• Kabul-based Omran Holding Group was awarded a $1.8 million contract to upgrade the electrical system upgrade at the National Military Hospital in Kabul. The contract has a 16-month performance period.
• Kabul-based State Corps Limited was awarded a $4.8 million contract to design and construct a new Ministry of Interior supply point at Sherberghan in Almar, Faryab Province. The contract as a 17-month performance period.
• Afghan-based Zia Imperial Logistics Service was awarded a $249,000, seven-month services contract to repair the Chal District Headquarters Compound in Takhar Province.
The Corps of Engineers is the primary organization building military bases, police stations, roads, air strips and other infrastructure projects in Afghanistan to increase the country's stability, security and economy.
The Afghanistan Engineer District-North and its five area offices manage more than $10 billion in construction projects spread across the districts 21-provincial operating footprint in northern Afghanistan in the past three years.
In addition to providing ANSF training facilities, border stations, barracks, dining facilities and other quality of life infrastructure, the district implemented a capacity development program, which creates business opportunities as evidenced by the Afghan-based construction firms receiving contract awards. The impact directly supports coalition counterinsurgency objectives while simultaneously increasing security and stability across northern Afghanistan.
Beyond construction management, the district also supports Coalition Forces counterinsurgency efforts to 32 Provincial Reconstruction Teams by providing embedded USACE engineers armed with the expertise to support the NATO-led efforts within the northern part of the country -- Regional Command-East, Regional Command-North and Regional Command-Capital.