Military Munitions Support Services
Military Munitions Support Services or M2S2 encompasses the full spectrum of work performed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to address unexploded ordnance, discarded military munitions, munitions constituents, and recovered chemical warfare materiel as part of military munitions response, range clearance and readiness support, and during construction and dredging activities.
M2S2 focuses Corps of Engineers management, technical, and support elements on ensuring safe, effective, and efficient response to assigned national and international missions to address military munitions.
M2S2 is managed by the Corps of Engineers Environmental Division with an annual workload of about $500 million.
The types of M2S2 projects the Corps of Engineers executes include:
• Defense Environmental Restoration-funded Military Munitions Response Program projects at Formerly Used Defense Sites and at Army, Air Force, and National Guard Bureau installations
• Base Realignment and Closure Environmental Restoration-funded Military Munitions Response Program
• Operational range support for the Army, Air Force, and National Guard Operational Range Assessment Programs, Environmental Quality-funded environmental compliance and compliance cleanup projects on operational ranges, operations and maintenance funded range clearance projects, and Sustainable Range Program research, development, testing, and evaluation performed by U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center laboratories
• International missions in support of the Department of Defense Combatant Commands and Overseas Contingency Operations to include battlefield unexploded ordnance and mine clearance, captured enemy ammunition disposal, and unserviceable joint services munitions disposal
• Munitions and explosives of concern Construction Support activities on military construction projects, Range and Training Land Program unexploded ordnance support during range modernization, and Civil Works project support such as when dredging in munitions impacted waters
• Department of Defense chemical warfare materiel responses regardless of program funding source
At the Corps of Engineers Headquarters, the Environmental Division provides corporate level oversight and fosters collaboration across programs through the National Program Managers, Divisions, Project Management Districts, Military Munitions Design Centers, Environmental and Munitions Center of Expertise, the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, and Headquarters Safety Office.
As the Nation’s Environmental Engineer, the Corps of Engineers provides worldwide Military Munitions Support Services to the Department of Defense and other Federal agencies. Through its M2S2 organization, the Corps of Engineers sustains a specialized, highly qualified, and experienced civilian and contractor workforce ready to address military munitions issues in the environment. With safety as its top priority, the Corps of Engineers has and will continue to provide effective and efficient execution of M2S2 related programs and projects.
For more information on M2S2, call (202) 761-0338 or visit: www.usace.army.mil/Missions/Environmental/MilitaryMunitionsSupportServices