Director of Contracting
Stuart A. Hazlett assumed the position of Director of Contracting, United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in January 2012. He serves as the delegated Head of the Contracting Activity by the Chief of Engineers and directly exercises authority over three Principal Assistants Responsible for Contracting, ten Regional Contracting Chiefs, and four Center Contracting Chiefs. Mr. Hazlett has overall responsibility for managing the contracting activity in support of USACE that has presence in more than 30 countries supporting Military Programs, Civil Works, Real Estate, and Research and Development. Under his cognizance, Mr. Hazlett executes approximately 62,000 contracting actions with obligations annually of $25 billion.
Before taking his current position, Mr Hazlett served as the Deputy Director of Program Acquisition & Strategic Sourcing (PASS) for Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy (DPAP). In this role he served as a senior advisor to the Director of DPAP, Director of Defense Pricing, and the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisitions, Technology, and Logistics in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Mr. Hazlett supported Defense Acquisition Boards, Defense Acquisition Executive Summaries, and various Overarching Integrated Product Teams for major defense acquisition and special interest programs. He promoted the development of sound program acquisition strategies and fostered continuous and effective communication within the acquisition community to ensure effective application of associated statute and policy.
Prior to the aforementioned position he served as the Deputy Director of Strategic Sourcing for the Director of DPAP. In collaboration with the DoD components, his directorate conducted spend analyses and facilitated business solutions that permitted the department to achieve best value in strategically sourcing goods and services within a $370B spend across the department. He served as the Chair of the Strategic Sourcing Directors Board (SSDB) and as the department’s representative to the Federal Chief Acquisition Officer Council Strategic Sourcing Working Group.
- March 2005 - Chief of Procurement Transformation, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Contracting, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon.
- April 2002 - Chief, Contracting Division, C-17 SPO, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH.
2000 - Chief, Logistics Contracting Division, HQ Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH.
- 1999 - Team Lead, HQ United States Air Force Logistics Transformation Team, US Air Force, Pentagon.
- 1984-1999 - Various Assignments Within USAF: Special Assistant to General Officers, Supervisory, Analyst, Procurement Contracting Officer, Grants & Cooperative Agreements Officer, Contract Negotiator, Contract Specialist.
- M.S. in Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces
- Air Command and Staff College (seminar), Air University
- Advanced Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College
- M.S.A. (General Administration) Central Michigan University
- Squadron Officers School (in-residence), Air University
- B.A. in Business Management and Administration, Ohio Northern University
- Leadership in a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute
- Senior Executive Fellows Program, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Senior Acquisition Course, National Defense University, Ft McNair, D.C.
- Defense Leadership and Management Program
- Certified Associate Contracts Manager
- Certified Professional Contracts Manager
- Certified Federal Contracts Manager
- DAWIA Level III – Contracting and Acquisition
Awards and Honors:
- Presidential Rank Award Winner
- Department of the Army Commander’s Award for Civilian Service
- Two Department of the Air Force awards for Meritorious Civilian Service
Professional memberships and associations:
- National Contract Management Association
- Society of American Military Engineers